An Overview of Chiropractic Treatment; Techniques and Benefits
Chiropractic treatment is a hands-on spinal manipulation treatment for pain relief while addressing movement limitations. dysfunction relief. This treatment focuses on reducing pain and improving the body’s mechanical function. It is a pain relief alternative for joints, muscles, bones, and connective tissues.
Types of Chiropractic Adjustment Techniques
1. Activator technique
The specialist uses a handheld instrument to deliver gentle impulses into the vertebral segments of the spine or to the extremities. This instrument has sprung and is used to adjust the nervous system’s tone. It is a technique used to treat various regions of the body, not just the spine and is a gentle alternative to manual adjustments and joint manipulations.
2. Decompression manipulation or flexion distraction
The patient lies on a special table that elongates (distracts) and bends (flexes) the spine in a gentle stretching motion. Patients who have recent injuries or are extra sensitive to other types of adjustments will benefit from this technique.
It is commonly used to treat: mostly used to treat:
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Facet joint pain
- Disc herniations, disc bulges or disc-related pain
3. Drop table technique
This technique is used to treat the spine or extremities. A special table with padded platforms is designed to drop the patient slightly once the chiropractor applies a quick thrust. The slight dropping motion resembles light vibrations, which make the patient comfortable.
4. Diversified technique
The chiropractor uses hands-on thrusts with extreme precision in this technique.
This technique focuses on;
- restoring proper movement
- repairing joint dysfunction
- restoring spine alignment
Our chiropractors at Ottawa Health: Performance Rehabilitation combine a variety of techniques and adjustment styles based on your symptoms and preferences. Learn more about Chiropractic care and our chiropractors today.
Procedure for Chiropractic Treatment
Once you make an appointment for chiropractic treatment near you, the chiropractor will discuss your medical history with you. This ensures the appropriate treatment for your condition.
The chiropractor will use the hands or a device to apply controlled force to the spine or a joint in order to treat it. The chiropractor may include relaxation techniques, dietary supplements, or heat and ice therapy alongside chiropractic treatment. They will also counsel you on lifestyle factors that affect musculoskeletal health. The specialist may refer you to physiotherapy near you for electro-therapeutic treatments to complement the chiropractic adjustments.
Benefits of Chiropractic Treatment
- Eases low back pain through spinal manipulation
- Regular chiropractic care ensures a healthier pregnancy because a woman’s body changes significantly during pregnancy.
- Chiropractic treatment assists in correcting neck, back, and head pain caused by poor posture
- Chiropractic care may relieve common symptoms associated with arthritis
- Cervical spine (neck) manipulation has shown to decrease neck pain
- Athletes may see benefits in their performance through with targeted joint mobility and reduction of tissue restriction
- It can help manage symptoms associated with migraines, tension headaches and more!
For more information regarding Ottawa Health’s approach to care, visit our chiropractic treatment tab.