An Overview of Physiotherapy Treatments in Ottawa
When it comes to taking care of your body, we should view it as an investment and cultivate habits that ensure health longevity. Whether or not you are in pain, caring for your health entails so much more that just pain management. However, life often gets in the way, and you may not always be feeling great. For example, after an injury, your body may not move and function like it used to. This is where treatments like physiotherapy come into play.
Physiotherapy is one of those pro-health solutions that help improve the functioning of your body, all while causing muscle relaxation. Many of the activities and techniques entailed in physiotherapy treatments alleviate pain, improve posture, promote mobility, and generally boost your body’s performance and productivity.
What Is Physiotherapy Treatment?
It is also known as physical therapy. It features a range of medically approved physical movements performed to engage the different parts of the body for optimal functionality. The treatments focus on boosting mobility of ligaments and restoring body function where it may have been lacking for a while.
Physiotherapy near you is the kind of treatment you seek when you feel like your body is underperforming. Often, patients of physiotherapy are those trying to recover from major accidents and injuries. The treatment in such cases helps retrain the body regarding movement and other levels of functionality. This is why physiotherapy in Ottawa, ON helps treat and manage injuries, diseases, and body disorders through physical methods.
What Does Physiotherapy Entail?
Our physiotherapists at Ottawa Health spend that extra time talking to their patients about the different approaches used in physiotherapy, as there is no one-fits-all approach to these treatments. Depending on the reason you need physiotherapy, there will be many physical activities employed in Ottawa Health: Performance and Rehabilitation for your quick recovery. In essence, each treatment will be tailored to your particular need. The types of physiotherapy treatments are:
- Manual therapies – these are mostly the kinds of treatments chiropractors offer. They include techniques like muscle or trigger point release, stretching, and acupuncture to mention a few.
- Physical exercise – these are chosen and customized to specifically meet your needs. They include posture re-training, muscle strengthening exercises, cardiovascular training, and others.
- Electrotherapies – this approach involves using the latest technology to improve your body function. Common types of electrotherapies include ultrasounds, Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS), shockwave therapy, and laser therapy, to name a few.
Who Benefits from Physiotherapy?
Common reasons for seeking physical therapy treatment at Ottawa Health: Performance and Rehabilitation include the following:
- Traumatic injury or accident – when you have suffered an accident, physiotherapy will help you recover the functionality of your body after you have healed from the wounds thereof.
- Post-surgery patients – after major surgery, you may need physiotherapy to retrain your body to function properly.
- Back pain problems – this can be due to an underlying chronic condition, or simply overworking your back due to adverse working conditions.
- Athletes – although you do not necessarily need an injury as an athlete, physical therapy is still beneficial for you. The sporting activities can stretch and pull your body in all the wrong way. Physiotherapy can help alleviate the tension in your muscles and reduce the pain areas caused by the wrong technique when sporting.
- Overweight people – when your weight is higher than it should be for your height, you will have many problems that affect the proper functioning of your body. For obese patients, even standing up or moving is problematic. Part of your healthy weight loss journey, therefore, should include physiotherapy.
- Bad posture – people who spend a lot of time in static postures such as on their computers, tend to have poor postures that affect their feelings of wellness. Physical therapy can help improve your muscle strength, mobility and daily habits.
Physiotherapy offers many benefits and we believe it is best to address and issue early on to reduce the likelihood of it becoming chronic. Does this sound like you? Book your physiotherapy assessment today!